Scope of Project
Established in 1891 for Temple founder Russel Conwell's congregation, the Baptist Temple lies at the Northern end of the Avenue of the Arts. After 30 years of sitting empty, the historic Baptist Temple is now a beautiful performing arts center on Temple's University campus. The extensive $30-million renovation included the complete restoration of the Romanesque façade, while inside of the building boosts a modern design with high ceilings, intricate stained glass windows and a thrust stage that extends into the theater, which seats more than 1200 people across 36,000 sq. ft. In the mid-20th century, the temple became a stop for some of the country's most important intellectual and political figures. Martin Luther King, Jr., Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke there, as did anthropologist Margaret Mead, Anne Sullivan and her famed pupil Helen Keller spoke at the temple as did Dwight D. Eisenhower when he was president of Columbia University. Today it is called Temple Performing Arts Center.